When my mum suggested that I use cloth nappies on my first child I thought she was mad! I probably told her as much as well. Of course you never really listen to your mum’s advice do you? A few months later when I was nearing my due date a friend of mine suggested the same thing and of course I listened to her! I’m glad I did because once she told me all about the benefits of using cloth nappies I realised that it was a good decision. Almost 5 years and 2 children later we are still using cloth nappies and I think it’s one of the best decisions we have made.
Here are our top ten reasons for using cloth nappies, not in any particular order.
- They have saved us a load of money! I’ve never worked out exactly how much but considering we have used the same nappies for both of our children it is probably between £600 and £800. We bought some of our cloth nappies second-hand and we’ve even sold some of them when they have no longer fitted our children
- We have been doing our bit for the environment. Considering babies go through around 4,500 nappy changes in their life time that is an awful lot of disposables that would have gone to landfill if we hadn’t used cloth. Recent research also shows that we have reduced our carbon footprint by 40%
- Cloth nappies do not contain any nasty gels or chemicals and we know exactly what is against their skin
- Cloth nappies look fab!
- No smelly bins in our house. The poo is flushed away with the liner and the rest of the nappy goes into a bucket until wash day
- They are really easy to use. Ok, in my mum’s day it may have been a different story but there’s no soaking, boiling or safety pins involved with modern nappies
- They don’t smell! Honestly the smell of a disposable nappy is far worse in my opinion!
- They look great – fashionable and fun!
- They are the best choice for our babies. Cotton lets their skin breathe (unlike disposables which actually raise their body temperature) and according to pediatricians cloth nappies are the best choice for ensuring good hip alignment
- Potty training is usually achieved 6 months earlier with cloth nappies – it was certainly true with our first child and we’ve yet to find out with number 2!
Why do you use cloth nappies? What made you consider using them in the first place? Did your mum suggest it too?!